Monday, September 11, 2006

5 Years Ago Today

I was thinking how different my life is today on September 11th, 2006 compared to 5 years ago when the world changed. I'm not talking about the big stuff like when we flinched everytime we saw plane a little too close to a building or being at Giants Stadium and feeling weird about how the view of the skyline from the parking lot was completely different than anything we had ever seen.

Work: I had just taken my first non front desk hotel job and now find myself as the Assistant Department head for a downtown hotel. Back them, I was lucky to not get laid off after the industry pretty much slowed to a crawl. Now I've got my eye on what will happen if/when my current hotel is sold. Since then, I've gone from the Parker House to a couple of different hotels with the Four Seasons.

Living: I was living north of Boston in Beverly in a place that was far enough away from the 'rents to prevent a pop-in, but close enough that it wouldn't be an overnight trip. I now am in a really cool condo with a view of the lake by Wrigley Field in Chicago. In between, there have been 3 other places. One in Maryland and 2 right here in Chicago.

Personal: Back in 2001, I had just gotten engaged. The wedding wouldn't be for another 2 years and the marriage would last just shy of 3 weeks. Today I find myself with someone going on nearly two years. In between, not a whole lot to report. There were girls, but nothing of any substance. One was even a Steelers fan ughh!!!

Speaking of sports, when the towers fell, the Red Sox were still cursed and the Patriots had never won a Superbowl. The Yankees were defending World Champions and the NHL was still quite popular. In the time since then, the Red Sox have won a World Series and the Yankees haven't. The Patriots have won 3 Superbowls and the NHL cancelled an entire season and nearly buried itself in its own stupidity.

I guess most of this came to me when I was at Joe's yesterday. I couldn't wear my old Pats jersey since the player made like Judas and bolted to the Colts. The jersey I wore was an old Bledsoe jersey with an American flag sewn on the back. We had done that 5 years ago when we attended the Patriots home opener. It had been delayed when the NFL put the season on hold for 2 weeks. This was the first game after the attacks and we wanted to look extra Patriotic, no pun intended. I thought it was fitting that I would choose that jersey for yesterday's game.

By the way...Bledsoe got hurt in that game and was replaced by a 2nd year player who started the preseason as the #4 QB. His name? Tom Brady.

Bledsoe would never start for us again. Thank you Mo Lewis!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home